"Not enough resources..."A line so familiar to me. I would always keep hearing this lines in 2 of my favorite games namely Starcraft and Warcraft (yes I'm a Blizzard fanboy). This games are what you call Real Time Strategy games or RTS for short. in this 2 games you act something similar to a leader or general. You order units or your people around to make buildings and other military based units to fight the opposing team. One of the key strategies in this games are proper management of your resources. You should be able to have resources to build and make what you want but you also shouldn't let your resources be stagnant meaning just pooling up not being invested into a unit.
While I was listening awhile ago during class the part about resources being a major element in the adaptive structure theory got me interested. Being the game fanatic I am, the 2 games above quickly popped into my mind. I saw the the various resources even played a role in the RTS games I played. For example The allocative resources appeared in the games via the management of the various units and buildings in forming a robust structure of your army. The various authoritative resources were also very apparent in the games. I think of these "authoritative" resources as the special units that grant various bonuses and rewards to the other units. Not only do some reward but some also debilitates or punishes other units. Other units even get stronger the more they spend time with other units and some become expert units one upgraded making them more specialized. The technological resource also play a role in this kinds of games via upgrades making your units stronger and more efficient in combat (stimpak for marine!).
Just like in reality. The various resources we use,not only the materials but also the people,determine the structure of the organization or group. It is not just enough to just have all "marines" as units you also need "medics" and "thors" (if you understood what I meant...kudos to you). We need a proper mix of all resources for the structure to function efficiently. Theories in comm class not only apply in the real world but also in the virtual world as we develop more advancements in technology. I hope one day they can fuse gaming and work together :D hahahaha.
Bring on the marines! (and the other units too)

No comments:
Post a Comment