Have you as a kid ever tried playing with Lego toys? I use to remember playing with Lego pieces and even up to this day whenever I walk by a toy store I would go in and check new Lego toy sets. I think my deep love for the toy came from the idea of building my own creations and then breaking them down to make new creations again.
![]() |
| Lego Cycle! Wish I could make this. |
Listening to the structuration theory during class kept reminding me of the Lego sets I used to play with. Building the various Lego creations I envisioned and imagine ( I would usually make big robot Lego creations.... go figure! :D ) At first whenever I made any of my creations it would always be wobbly but I would eventually fix it given a bit of time and experimentation. As I got used to making similar creations to the previous ones I made it got easier and easier to create sturdier creations right of the bat. Like the structuration theory says the organizations create the structures that give order to the group.
Passing through some paragraphs of the reading for structuration theory it kept talking about the use of structure in an organization. Like the Lego pieces I used, people use structures in organization to make it sturdy. With the passage of time in an organization the "rules" or rather the agency (the behaviors and actions we perform) further fortify the structure in the organization much like how got used to making the various Lego creations back then. Another quality I found in this theory that I also found in my Lego childhood toys was that I was able to recycle the creations by taking apart and using the pieces again for a new creation. Structure can also be broken down and be reformed into something new just like transitioning from the high school environment to the college environment. Structures may be sturdy enough but not indestructible but cab also be rebuilt.

I too, love Lego up to this day. To have a sturdy structure means building up a good foundation. Just like in the structuration theory, to have an effective and pleasing structure it must appeal to those who will follow it. Repetition is not that bad because it gives you a sense of direction on what you will do next, and as you said, you can take it apart and build a new one instead.
ReplyDeleteYes, yes I have played Lego. I never did manage to create anything very creative but it was still fun.
ReplyDeleteStructure in an organization help maintain order. The repetitions are not all that bad although it makes life rather dull, but the good thing is that you likened the structure of an organization to Lego structures. You can always take it apart and build it up again or build a new one instead.
I wasn't really a big fan of Lego because of the presence of Barbie, but my brother used to have these Lego sets before. Yes, the idea of building something out of these colorful blocks and then eventually breaking them up seems very interesting, since it also gives you the chance to improve your creativity.
ReplyDeleteIndeed, structures could be sturdy, but a little change every now and then will help keep all of us sane. =)