This will be the last required blog for our communications class..... But hopefully not my last blog entry. It has been 1 full semester and 1 long semester it has been.
Rather than just talk about this week's last class discussion I'd rather talk about how comm made things different for me. Comm class has given me another dimension of thinking and reacting. Normal conversation with friends, family, and others go differently when you know comm theories. Meeting strangers means so much more given the ideas of uncertainty reduction and social exchange. Cooperating and deciding in groups become more "interactive" being able to predict what they want. Dealing with irritated people and being irritated yourself becomes more understandable with cognitive dissonance theory at the back of your mind. Even while watching television seems so different with all the media theories swirling in my head. Organizations give off a different feel to me now because of the organizational theories like organizational culture and adaptive structure. Two-step is now something I observe being careful where to look for advice.
But probably one the best lessons I got from comm was the importance of technology to us. The last set of theories really emphasized on the changes brought about by technology to us. Media ecology showed technology not as a tool to us but rather an essential part already. Specially with the media deprivation project the wonders of technology truly shined. I saw my reliance on technology be it good or bad will forever be a part of me. Technology has evolved our means of communication by so much that we have the virtual realm to move in now. What's astonishing is that even with the new technology introduce the old theories will still hold up to the human reaction and interaction. After this semester's comm class I will never look at technology the same way again.
Communications class just made everyday life a bit more interesting!
It's because of technology that communication became so much easier and more available to everyone. I wonder what would had happened if things like mobile phones and even the internet were not invented ? Maybe we'll still be writing snail mails.
ReplyDeleteI think that technology is very essential to everyday life because with it communication has become much more convenient. E-mails, chatting, texting everything is just so much easier these days. Without technology how could I keep in touch with my friends every time I'm at home? Technology has really given us a lot.
ReplyDelete"Comm class has given me another dimension of thinking and reacting."
ReplyDeleteAnd that, Vic, makes me happy. Stay critical and analytical, even with the seemingly ordinary and mundane. There is a lot to learn and realize, even from the simple things we have around us.
Good job, Vic! :)