Saturday, July 16, 2011

Get The F**k Away From Me!!! MRT MADNESS!

For the purpose of this blog post I will use a maximum rating of 1000 for how pissed and stressed I was during my experience.

(30/1000) My friend graciously dropped me off in Shang after we left another friend's house. This was about 5:00 pm in the afternoon. I was less pissed because I got to sleep before going to Shang. There weren't a lot of people in Shang and the air conditioners blasted the whole mall with cool air. It was still early I decided to grab a bite to eat for dinner at around 6:00 pm. Left Shang at around 6:45 pm and waited in line at the MRT station to buy a ticket to go to Quezon Avenue station.

(200/1000) By the time I was in line for my ticket the line stretched up to the stairs. This is where i began to get a bit irritated, specially since my line was the slowest moving amongst the other lines. During this time I had lots and lots of time to think about what to write in my blog. Since I was being pissed I tried measuring and thinking about cognitive dissonance, it seemed apt for the occasion (250/1000 I remembered I had to write it)

(300/1000) I was finally able to get my ticket and enter the station. But once I walked down the stairs, only to see LOTS AND LOTS of people waiting for the train (350/1000). Once the train (IT WAS REALLY FULL that if you can't even cram a 5 year old in there) went into the station and stopped, people really SHOVED AND PUSHED just to get into the train. I was actually being moved by all the pushing and shoving (700/1000). I wasn't able to get aboard the first train so I waited. Soon the people started piling up behind and some men (who really want to get inside the next train) literally would shove people around and put his arm right in front of you so you can't move forward. This same scenario happened to me 5 freaking times! (800/1000) I really don't like shoving and pushing people around, I consider it really really really RUDE. But this time it was different! I really had to PUSH, SHOVE, and PUSH just to get a measly spot inside that cramped train.

(1000/1000) This is it I was inside the freaking train! There was no more space! I think the saying "You can't even drop a needle" can be used here! I was standing near the door and the full 360 degrees around me were people who kept bumping and sticking to me. (1200/1000 yes.... this is how pissed I was now) People I don't know are beside me and worst of all was they were invading my personal space! Then the lesson of proxemics came to my mind. My personal space was being invaded by strangers and worst of all is it was my "intimate space" a distance only reserved for close people and family. (1400/1000 yes it did get worse) I couldn't even move if I wanted to. As the train started to move and stop at each station more people actually got into the train. The people really forced themselves to get inside, thereby making the already cramped train making it more cramped than a can of sardines.  At this point if anyone tried talking to me I would just instantly say "F*CK OFF!". I personally really hate people sticking to me or vice versa, for friends and family I am just fine with but people I don't know I hate.

(1000/1000) Once the train reached  Cubao station a ton of the passengers inside the train left. It was still full but now you can at least move around. But there were still a lot of people! At this point I wasn't even thinking of writing a blog or meeting up online with my Japanese FLC group. (500/1000) Finally the train arrived at Quezon Station, I shoved people around just to exit that hellish train. (300/1000) I got on a tricycle. It was only a short ride and I was finally home. Turned on my laptop, took a shower, and here I am typing (50/1000).

So what is my point in this long story of mine? It is just to show that I may get pissed and stressed about little things but only a little. But once I do something that is against what I believe in the PISSED rating really goes up. That is the cognitive dissonance at work. An interesting thought that I had was that if it wasn't for this week's discussion I wouldn't know this term and I won't be able to pinpoint why I really got pissed! During those moments cognitive dissonance was really pushing me to a point where I won't be able to communicate or converse properly with people. Proxemics also played a major role in my being pissed. My personal space was invaded and it made me really uncomfortable. Proxemics is something important to people that they may be able to convey there messages properly. With people invading personal space your decision and communication skills get impaired. With the combination of this both I got really really pissed and unable to think. Heck I wasn't even gonna do this blog I thought to myself a while back whilst inside the cramped train. But here I am writing my blog. The cognitive dissonance is now gone, my personal space returned to normal,  and I can properly think again.

( EFFFFFFFFFF that guy who tried to pull me out when I finally got on >:/ )

7 comments:

  1. "An interesting thought that I had was that if it wasn't for this week's discussion I wouldn't know this term and I won't be able to pinpoint why I really got pissed"

    I think a lot of our frustrations come out when put in a situation bombarded by cognitive dissonance. In a world where you can't tell what will happen in the next five seconds I think it's natural for humans to search for any bit of control they can get their hands on. This is why when things do not go the way we want them and we are left with no choice but do things we aren't comfortable with, even the sweetest person can become red with rage.

    PS Y u no mention my real name?!

    PPS I think you could have easily lifted the people off the train. Hahaha kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Vic! nice, interesting blog. hahaha i can imagine you getting more and more pissed bit by bit =))) btw, someone tried to pull you out the train even if you're that big? keep on trying man. hahahaha. anyway, i like the way how you integrated all, if not most, of this weeks discussions in just one blog and one story. it shows how communication (and the topics we take up) are really linked to one another and are natural to our lives. the examples you used are real life examples which stressed how natural these communication theories are since this event is also probably experienced or will be experienced by most of us sometime in our lives.

    -millerman009.livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vic! I was imagining how you managed to board the train. Haha.

    On a serious note, it's good that a story about your experience could actually cover up the topics that were discussed in class.

    I do agree on what you've said that the invasion of personal space gives rise to cognitive dissonance.

    -Ian Calimbahin

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Merced ssssssshhhhhhh ninja blog no information should be divulged :)

    @Jolo OO NGA EH BS YUNG HUMILA TAPANG AHAHHA

    @Nol Ako rin di ko rin ma imagine nung una kaso kaya! para akong bangus sa gitna ng maliliit na isdang pang sardinas lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your blog bro ! Every word in that story of yours imprinted a picture in my mind of you shoving your way to get in the train ... etc. I can relate with you regarding the feeling you get when people are literally in your personal space and when they're STICKING to you in a cramped space. Of course I wouldn't mind if the people sticking to me were girls, pretty girls specifically but these were dudes too. -.-

    Anyway, because of class, we now found a label to the feeling we get when strangers get too close for comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have boarded a packed train on a number of occasions already and I must say I can actually relate to your post (imagine that). This happened to me in Beijing. My friends and I missed a station because people wouldn't get out of our way to the door. See? I can relate :)).The invasion of personal space is very irritating indeed and you giving an anecdote helps me imagine and understand the concept of cognitive dissonance even more. A job well done for you sir.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could relate so much to your post. I super hate people when they try to evade my personal space without getting "permission" from me. I even wonder why people dare talk to me (even if they actually do not know me at all since) when I commute since I always am cranky. :)

    "With people invading personal space your decision and communication skills get impaired."

    This line made me ponder. This probably explains why I get cranky easily when someone dares to enter my private space :)

    ReplyDelete