Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Gameshow, The Prize, The Greed

"Congratulations you have won a 200,000 Pesos! Would you like to take this prize or go for the mystery prize at one of our mystery doors! What could be behind door number 1 or door number 2?!?!"

Which one would it be?
One of the oldest scenarios in older game shows. Choose between a sure prize or choose from a mystery prize, a dilemma of sorts but still more often than not people would choose the mystery door and not the prize. This is a gamble right? It seems counter intuitive to even choose the mystery door over a sure prize, for all we know the 2 doors could just be empty. This scenario was the first thing that popped into my mind when I learned about Social Exchange and Uncertainty Reduction. Although both are different I see them as an interconnected theory ( although now that I think about it all theories are interconnected and may affect each other ). I will try to explain why you would like to choose the mystery door rather than the prize. I admit even I am tempted to open the mystery door.
"So you have chosen door number 1! Let us see what is behind door number 1! Door number 1 holds....... "Uncertainty Reduction"!!!!" 
Uncertainty Reduction just really points out one thing in a relationship and it is that humans hate and fear uncertainty. The need to know someone or something seems to be hot wired into our brains. For example when you meet someone new your first reaction would be ask them their name and other demographic data about that person, it is because you hate "not knowing" anything about the person. Uncertainty is the natural enemy of predictability. Not knowing how to act in front of someone gives us the feeling of vulnerability ( imo only). I for one hate not knowing how to act in front of someone ( more over if I like that person ). This idea might be a possible reason why you chose door number 1 instead of the sure 200,000 pesos, you have the natural need to know what is exactly behind door number 1.

"What is behind number 2 then? Behind door number 2 is....... "Social Exchange", not a bad prize either!"

Now why did not choose the money or door number 2? Social Exchange may have something to do here. Social Exchange speaks of how people view relationships in an economical view. The use of a cost and reward ratio in whether to continue a relationship. Basically this means that if rewards > cost you are likely to continue but if cost > rewards it likely mean you will terminate. So maybe in this case you just saw to gamble 200,000 thinking that it is just a small amount.


"Thank you for playing!!!"
"Would you like another bonus round?"

When  I actually had the time to ponder about these two theories.... I was a bit dismayed. Knowing that we have the natural want or rather a need to know everything just to feel secure or to see if we even benefit was a bit disappointing. I know it to be true cause even now I was able to notice that even I am governed by this theory. Does that mean deep down people are naturally "greedy"? I don't know the answer to this. Maybe there are some rare cases that someone still tries to continue a relationship even if cost outweigh the rewards or they don't feel the need to know a lot about someone. Can you prove me to me that you are not "greedy" or guilty of this 2 theories being applicable to you?


 

3 comments:

  1. wow. just an amazing blog. i like the style you used in order to relay the info to us readers, very interesting and something fresh. i really liked how you used the game show scenario to hit two birds in one stone: you used it to gain the reader's attention and then used it also as an example for the 2 concepts we learned in class. the last part of the blog was also nice. it's a great application of the uncertainty reduction theory and a really thought provoking one. maybe you're right. maybe we can somehow prove that through these theories we learn in class, such as reducing the uncertainty, man is indeed naturally greedy. very very nice job Vic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey this is pretty cool. haha. Great of you to think that the 2 were actually very connected. We want to reduce uncertainty yet at the same time we gamble with the pros and cons to do so. Interesting opinion man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very.......different blog.Haha! But seriously though GOOD JAB!! Not only is your blog very engaging it is also very informative. I never thought of linking 2 or more theories to one another (yea that's right) but your entry does have a very good point. I also like the point you made about weighing the costs and gains. It is as if we gamble in everything we do. :)

    ReplyDelete